Sunday, November 27, 2016

Stamps: 20th Century Inventions



Here are my contributions for today's theme at See It On A Postcard.

The stamp on the left was issued on 13 October 2011 under the theme, At Home in Germany: German Inventions. Among these 3 objects, the MP3 player qualifies for the theme. MP3 is an acronym for an audio coding format that was developed and enhanced mostly in the 20th century.

On the right , we have the Schmidt camera or telescope. It was invented in 1930 by the German-Estonian optician Bernhard Schmidt. The stamp was issued by Latvia in 2 April 2009.

~maria

6 comments:

  1. Great stamps. I like the contrast of the two items on the German stamp, and the colors on the Latvian one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the combination of the different eras of sound on the German stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that some inventions have already become obsolete - like my mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stamps!
    According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_recorder the magnetic tape recorder as we know now (and as I remember my late grandfather used to use!) is from the 20th century, too, the thirties.
    Wikipedia names it modern, and also I name it a modern tape recorder, however my teen kids consider it (and sometimes consider me) prehistoric..
    The old grammophon is a nice one, too, and reminds me of the German classical record label 'Deutsche Grammophon', of which I learned that it was founded by the inventor of this type of record players, Emile Berliner (I learned this thanks to curiosity caused by your blog post of today :-) This grammophon was invented a few years before the 20th century..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the German stamp showing the old tape reels!

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: