Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dutch costumes: Clogs - loving!

NL-1460621, Sender: Ramona
Sent: 29 Sep 2012 from Overjissel, Netherlands
Received 26 Oct 2012, Traveled 10,305 km in 27 days 

Touchnote Postcard, Sender: Wilma
Sent from Leiden, Netherlands, Traveled 10,463.8 km

Whole feet wooden clogs is my favorite among the items consisting the traditional Dutch costume. I recall getting a miniature pair of clogs for a wedding souvenir in my teenage years. Since then, I've always dreamed to try wearing clogs. I believe they're the most durable type of footwear against wear and tear. 

Back in those years, my parents were always annoyed at me because they think I'm careless with my leather shoes. But I don't own the blame! In our province it's always raining for almost 80% of the school year. I had the same pair of shoes for like 2 years to wear every single day, five days a week, 10 months in a year, to school. Plus, my feet seemed to be growing faster laterally than I was growing vertically...sigh. Oh well, so long with my defensive story of my younger years...

Clogs, durable and practical work shoes, are worn in heavy labor environment and for tap dancing. The traditional wooden Dutch clogs, or klompen are hand-crafted. I can't imagine how skillful and precise those klompen makers are! Perhaps my dream now, is not just to try wearing a pair of clogs but also to watch a clog artisan crafting out a pair of shoes in his workshop.

With that pretty heart design on the apron of the Dutch girl, I'm sharing this post with Clytie's Guest Heart Thursday. For more hearts, click on the picture below:



~maria

2 comments:

  1. I can remember touring the Netherlands and our bus stopped at a "wooden shoe factory" ... I was amazed and impressed to see one little old guy sitting at a bench with a chisel, making the shoes by hand. I don't know if he made all the ones for sale or not, I'm hoping he had some friends to help! Thank you, Maria, I hadn't thought of that one in years!

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: