Sunday, September 25, 2011

African Stamps

I am sharing three stamps which were part of a collection of a French friend. I'm grateful for these stamps because these are the only stamps that I have from Africa. I wasn't able to participate w/ Viridian's Sunday Stamps last week because I am yet to receive anything in the mail from South America. But for this week, we are off to three countries from Africa:


CONGO. The stamp is a portrait of the first president of the Republic of the Congo, Fulbert Youlou. He's also second prime minister of the Republic of the Congo. I tried to get more info about when the stamp was issued but I was unlucky :(




GUINEA. These fishes are part of the tropical fish 6 stamp set. Siganus trispilos is commonly known as the threeblotched rabbitfish and the Naso lituratus as ornagespine unicornfish. I bet these fishes would complain if they asked to write their names, being in the kindergarten!




MADAGASCAR. Here's a picture of a native from Madagascar with a spear.The stamp was issued in 1946.

Another fun learning experience for me, I hope it was fun for you to travel and learn via stamps, too!


Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

  1. How very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Are you a stamp collector?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Dolly. I am not a very serious, big time collector but I do keep the stamps that I receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That threeblotched rabbitfish looks as if it belongs to the perch family. Four fine stamps I have not seen before. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice contrasting stamp images. You are right about fish names; the smaller they are it seems the bigger the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful selection of stamps! It's good to see some more unusual ones. I've just remembered I have at least one from Mauritius somewhere. I imagine that would count for this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many colorful and unusual fish on stamps, but it is impossible to tell how big they are. I love the names like threeblotched rabbitfish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for participating! Neat stamps I haven't seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob, Joy, Shiela, Postcardy, & Viridian for the visit and the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some lovely fish stamps. Despite the name of my blog I am not particularly interested in fish! The one on the left does remind me of the "puffer fish" that we saw in Kenya though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice collection, The fish stamps are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like people like exotic stamps ;-) i'll try to send you some more when i'll get back home :-) Ingat my twin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: