Saturday, October 21, 2017

Postcards for the weekend 57: Lighthouses

For exactly the same theme last year, I posted three different postcards for the same lighthouse. This time, I'm sharing lighthouses guiding ships sailing the same ocean, the North Atlantic.

US-2483307, Sent from Bangor, Maine
Sent 29 Oct 2013, Traveled 13,347 km in 14 days

According to the lighthouse's website, the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse is located on the most eastern point of the continental United States. It's quite a fun fact for me to find out about this! I'm very close at the moment, relatively speaking to the most western point of the continental United States. I'm currently in Everett, WA and the most western point is Cape Alava, which is 271 km from here. 

Private Swap, sent from New York, New York
Sent 9 April 2013, Traveled 13,665 km

At the back of this postcard was written: The lighthouse overlooks Great South Bay and the Atlantic Ocean ... The Fire Island Lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

US-2285754, Sent from Fort Story, Virginia
Sent 23 June 2013, Traveled 14,048 km in 10 days

Going a bit more south is the Second Cape Henry Lighthouse built in 1881 made of cast iron. 

US-2405965, Sent from Seabrook Is., Charleston, SC
Sent 9 Sep 2013, Traveled 14,308 km in 24 days

The Morris Island Lighthouse is the sixth oldest station in the United States. More South Carolina lighthouses on the single postcard below:

Private Swap Postcard, Sent from Ladson, SC
The back of the card has no information about when it was sent except the sticker with the name of the sender and her address. I reckon this was sent in a bunch together with other postcards hence there are no postmarks. From left to right: Hunting Island, Morris Island, Georgetown, Hilton Head, Cape Romain, and Sullivan's Island.

I hope you enjoyed these lighthouse postcards for this weekend.

Thanks & best regards,
~maria















5 comments:

  1. I also chose lighthouses from this area - but a different state!
    I don't think I've ever seen a black and blue lighthouse before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Morris Island card is a beauty. Nice selection of Atlantic lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lighthouses are one of my favourite themes, and I love the postcards you selected for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for choosing this theme. Maria. I've been collecting lighthouse stamps for years, and I'm never tired of seeing new pictures. And, of course, of seeing new lighthouses in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, these are beautiful. I love lighthouses. We have quite a few along the Pacific Coast. There are several here in Oregon. Just lovely. May I add your link to Postcard Friendship Friday? How are you doing? I haven't heard from you in ages. <3

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: