Saturday, June 17, 2017

Postcards for the weekend 42: Historic sites / buildings

Souvenir postcard, Spring 2017 trip to Malta

I didn't know anything about European Capital of Culture until I visited Malta 2 months ago. It was quite well advertised around Valletta, Malta's capital. In fact, I first saw the information on this postcard! My partner, being European himself, explained to me that every year, European Union has a different city, designated as the main venue to highlight European culture. This aims to boost focus and attention into European culture, as much as there's always big discussions about politics and economics. 


Souvenir postcard, Spring 2017 trip to Malta

Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was the city of the Knights of St. John and has been described as "a city built by gentlemen for gentlemen". It's built to a grid pattern on a narrow peninsula, offering wonderful urban views and historical sites at almost every corner. Among its major attractions are the Church of St. John, the Manoel Theatre, and the Grand Master's Palace.

For historic sites / buildings,
~maria





3 comments:

  1. I must have heard of the European Capitals of Culture before, but have to admit I haven't added to my memory what capitals have already had the honour or when. Looking it up now, I see that it was Stockholm back in 1998. Well, that was a while ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked the idea of the European City of Culture. If I lived in Europe, I'd be inclined to visit each one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malta is a place that really attracts me, also for the Arabic heritage in the language. So I was more than happy to receive your postcard from there!

    And about the European Cities of Culture... I've been to some, but I think that we the Europeans don't pay a lot of attention to than, really.

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: