Friday, May 26, 2017

Postcards for the weekend 39: Traditional street scene


Speaking of traditional street scenes, I think nothing can be more traditional than this postcard of "bayanihan". Strictly speaking, it isn't a street, but since in the province where I grew up, cleared up pathways throughout grasslands were what we considered streets for passage of people and carriages pulled by either water buffalo, horse, or cow. Since traditional Filipino houses were built on stilts during earlier days, it's quite common to see men from the community gathering and helping a house owner who wants to move the property. These men weren't paid a cent but they're served a sumptuous meal and local alcoholic beverages after the heavy task.


A horse-pulled carriage or kalesa. Nowadays, this kind of transportation is more of a touristy thing in many historical places of interest in the Philippines. This is one of the earlier forms of transportation, I reckon not just in my country but in many other countries as well.


Now onto more modern street scene, on the above postcard is our version in the Philippines of a tricycle or trishaw. This transportation is normally overloaded with passengers as there isn't a lot of tricycles to transport people from villages to the town. This overloading happens mostly during when there are festivities in the town center.

For traditional street scenes. Happy weekend everyone!

~maria







5 comments:

  1. The first brings a new meaning to moving house, I love how the community gets together to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not participating this week but enjoyed these cards, very different from my part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you sent me that third postcard long time ago. But I didn't think of it for this week's theme! It's a wonderful picture, and also the rest of the postcards are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos!
    The literally 'house moving' is amazing, and I loved to read your personal story behind it. And what a beautiful nature the province of your childhood is showing!
    Love the other two postcards too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A week after I posted my contribution to this Postcards for the Weekend theme...
    If interested, see:
    http://nogmeerpost.blogspot.nl/2017/06/postcard-from-last-weekend-street-view.html

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: