Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sunday Stamps - (B) Batik from Indonesia


For the letter B - batik
2011 - Indonesia - Traditional Textiles
Designer: De-er

The red & black (Batik Madura Jawa Timur) stamp was from a mini-sheet issued on 6 July 2011. The brown & white (Batik Parang Garuda DI Yogyakarta) stamp was from a mini sheet issued on 30 March 2011.

Batik is a traditional textile from Indonesia and perhaps the most popular. Each time I see an intricately patterned printed fabric with an ethnic design here in the SE Asian region, right away I would think, "Ah, that's batik!" 

I've been to Indonesia several times now since 2015. I've become more well-informed that batik is but one of the traditional textile design techniques. Here's an article about the different Indonesian traditional fabrics.

for more stamps with the letter "B" - visit See It On A Postcard

5 comments:

  1. the design on that red stamp is so beautiful! I knew Batik was related to SE Asian countries, but didn't know it had actually originated in Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love textiles! Is one time I've think sometimes to collect (but I can't start any new collection right now!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Textiles would be a nice topic to collect, which I hadn't thought of before.
    Love the bold colours.

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: